Drupal 9 is Coming! – Be Prepared by Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8
Drupal 9 is targeted to be released in June of 2020. It would have the same feature as the final release of Drupal 8 and it will be a cleaned-up version of Drupal 8. The major benefit of Drupal 9 is the platform will be supported with security fixes after November 2021. The most important thing is upgrading from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 should be easy if you regularly check for and remove the use of deprecated code.
As a Drupal Website owner, you might have questions like should we switch to Drupal 9 straight away or upgrade to Drupal 8 and then move to Drupal 9? This blog will help you to take the best suitable decision for your Drupal based CMS website.
Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9
Instead of waiting for Drupal 9, It is highly recommended to migrate from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 as soon as possible.
There are three most important reason why upgrading to Drupal 7 to Drupal 9 is not recommended.
- The first reason is, when it comes to Drupal 7 and Drupal 9 functionalities, it is a whole different thing, so it would not be easy and straight forward to migrate to Drupal 7 to Drupal 9.
- The second reason is backward compatibility. It is not possible to back to Drupal 7 whereas it is possible with Drupal 8.
- Drupal 7 is nearing its end of life. Drupal Community has decided to end the support of Drupal 7 by November 2021.
Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 to Drupal 9
Drupal 9 will be the identical version of Drupal 8 final release with some of the third party dependencies updates. Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 would be faster, easier, compatible and efficient. Below are some of the key tools used when migrating from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8.
- Drupal core provides the migrate module suite to efficiently migrate from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. This is the best way to prepare your Drupal website for Drupal 9.
- The Drupal Module upgrader is a command-line script that scan the Drupal 7 module and flags any code that requires updating to Drupal 8 version.
- The Drupal 7 version of the Upgrade Status module summarizes the Drupal 8 availability of the modules currently in use.
Upgrading from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9
Following are some of the helpful tips to prepare your Drupal 8 site for Drupal 9.
- Keep your Drupal 8 up-to-date with the last minor release
- Keep Drupal 8 module up-to-date
- Use the deprecation checking and correction tools to ensure the Drupal 8 code is compatible with Drupal 9.
As a leading Drupal Development Company in India, Skynet Technologies has years of expertise in upgrading your Drupal 7 website to Drupal 8 efficiently. We have a dedicated and experienced team of Drupal developers having in-depth technical knowledge in migrating Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 without any hassle.
We are a proud member of the Drupal Association
We provide custom Drupal development and Drupal maintenance services for the customer from USA, UK, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and around the world. We provide onshore, offshore and white label Drupal development services to start-ups, small to large businesses, enterprise, web development agencies, government and any size and type of organizations.
Are you using Drupal? Do you have similar confusion about the upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8? Send us inquiry and we will get back to you as soon as possible.