Perl CGI Based Applications
What Perl is all about?
Perl is a "Practical Extraction and Report Language" freely available for Unix, MVS, VMS, MS/DOS, Macintosh, OS/2, Amiga, and other operating systems. Perl has powerful text-manipulation functions. It eclectically combines features and purposes of many command languages. Perl has enjoyed recent popularity for programming World Wide Web electronic forms and generally as glue and gateway between systems, databases and users.
Skynet Technologies Expertise in Perl
Skynet Technologies has more than 7 years of experience in Perl application development. Skynet Technologies has extensive experience on web and application based development using Perl.
Skynet Technologies assures you a 24/7 dedicated support online via instant messenger at your hours, just like your neighborhood developer with guaranteed on-Time Delivery with defect warranty (We are an SEI-CMM Certified Company)
CGI/Web Programming and Administration
- LWP - suite of modules that access the web
- CGI.pm - a core module for web forms
- Development with mod_perl and Apache - persistent, embedded Perl interpreter
- Web Programming modules from CPAN
- XML API - Maintain XML and other mark-up languages
- DBI.pm - the Perl Database Interface
- To connect databases Oracle, Sybase, Postgres, MySQL, mSQL and others
Mail Application Programming
- MIME::Tools - modules for parsing (and creating!) MIME entities
- MIMEl::Parser - experimental class for parsing MIME streams
- IMAP::Admin - Perl module for basic IMAP server administration
- The perl Date Time Project
- Perl interfaces with external C/C++ libraries through SWIG
- GD.pm - graphic programming library
- Perl is a stable, cross platform programming language.
- It is used for mission critical projects in the public and private sectors.
- Perl is Open Source software, licensed under its Artistic License, or the GNU General Public License.
- Perl was created by Larry Wall.
- Perl 1.0 was released to usenet's alt.comp.sources in 1987
- PC Magazine named Perl a finalist for its 1998 Technical Excellence Award in the Development Tool category.
- Perl is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Supported Operating Systems
- Unix systems
- Macintosh - (OS 7-9 and X)
- Perl takes the best features from other languages, such as C, awk, sed, sh, and BASIC, among others.
- Perls database integration interface (DBI) supports third-party databases including Oracle, Sybase, Postgres, MySQL and others.
- Perl works with HTML, XML, and other mark-up languages.
- Perl supports Unicode.
- Perl is Y2K compliant.
- Perl supports both procedural and object-oriented programming.
- Perl interfaces with external C/C++ libraries through XS or SWIG.
- Perl is extensible. There are over 500 third party modules available from the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN).
- The Perl interpreter can be embedded into other systems.
Perl and the Web
- Perl is the most popular web programming language due to its text manipulation capabilities and rapid development cycle.
- Perl is widely known as "the duct-tape of the Internet".
- Perl's CGI.pm module, part of Perl's standard distribution, makes handling HTML forms simple.
- Perl can handle encrypted Web data, including E-Commerce transactions.
- Perl can be embedded into web servers to speed up processing by as much as 2000%.
- mod_perl allows the Apache web server to embed a Perl interpreter.
- Perl's DBI package makes web-database integration easy.
Perl Modules from CPAN
The Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) is a large repository of Perl software, modules, and documentation. On CPAN, you'll find modules organized by author, name or category. CPAN is mirrored in over 200 locations around the world.