Setting up your Gmail Account in Outlook 2002
This tutorial shows you how to set up Outlook 2002 to work with your Gmail account.
To Set Up Your Gmail Account in Outlook 2002
1. First we need to make sure your Gmail account is set up to enable POP (Post Office Protocol). In Gmail just go to mail settings and choose the Forwarding and POP tab. Click on one of the options to enable POP.
Update: Note the drop-down that says what to do when mail is accessed with POP3. Please do NOT change this to "Delete".
Click on Save Changes Button
2. Open Outlook.
3. Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts...
4. Click Add, and then click Mail...
5. Enter your name in the Display name: field, and click Next.
6. Enter your full Gmail email address (email@example.com) in the Email address: field, and click Next. Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com.'
7. Enter 'pop.gmail.com' in the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: field. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: field. Google Apps users, enter the server names provided, don't add your domain name in this step.
8. Click Next.
9. Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') in the Account name: field. Enter your email password in the Password: field, and click Next.
10. Click Finish.
11. Highlight pop.gmail.com under Account, and click Properties.
12. Click the Advanced tab.
13. Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
14. Enter '465' in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
15. Under Incoming mail (POP3), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL). The port will change to '995'.
16. Click the Servers tab, and check the box next to My server requires authentication.
17. Click OK.
You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail messages.